[XeTeX] various problems with ArabXeTeX

Benjamin Geer benjamin.geer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 14:31:03 CET 2008

2008/11/24 François Charette <firmicus at ankabut.net>
> NB: In "ArabTeX" mode, ArabXeTeX assumes you type << and >> for the quotations marks,
> in which case they will be properly displayed.

That's what I tried first, but I've been unable to get either
ArabXeTeX or polyglossia to convert << and >> into « and ».  I've
attached my input and output files.

>> 2. The author's name, as given by the \author command, is printed in the wrong order in
>> the output: the last name is printed first.
>
> This does not occur here. Perhaps your version of bidi.sty is outdated? Latest version
> on CTAN is 0.3.

Yes, that fixed it, thanks.

>> 3. The line spacing is uneven in the output; some lines are much closer together than others.
>>
> Mmm. Perhaps I am not yet completely awake, but I can't confirm that here. (My output is
> attached)

I took screenshots of the attached output files displayed in Adobe
Reader, opened the screenshots in GIMP, and measured the distances
between lines.  For example, in both the ArabXeTeX output and the
polyglossia output, the distance between the baseline of the last line
on page 1 and the baseline of the line above it is 36 pixels; the
distance between the latter and the baseline of the line above it is
44 pixels.  It's the same in the output file you sent, too.

Ben