[XeTeX] various problems with ArabXeTeX

François Charette firmicus at ankabut.net
Mon Nov 24 09:51:18 CET 2008

Benjamin Geer a écrit :
> I'm experimenting with ArabXetex using the LaTeX "article" format.
> Running the attached file (a random newspaper article) through xelatex
> indicates a few problems.
>
> 1. The quotation marks (« and ») have to be typed backwards (in a
> bidi-aware text editor) in order to be displayed correctly in the output.

You're right. Hmm, shouldn't it be done at the level of the font or the
rendering engine? Jonathan? If not I will add a mapping to reverse « and » .

NB: In "ArabTeX" mode, ArabXeTeX assumes you type << and >> for the
quotations marks, in which case they will be properly displayed.

> 2. The author's name, as given by the \author command, is printed in
> the wrong order in the output: the last name is printed first.
This does not occur here. Perhaps your version of bidi.sty is outdated?
Latest version on CTAN is 0.3.

Note that if your document uses Arabic as the main language, it is
probably better to use polyglossia (with \setmainlanguage{arabic} in the
preamble) instead of arabxetex. Note also that better cooperation
between arabxetex and polyglossia is planned for a future version.

> 3. The line spacing is uneven in the output; some lines are much
> closer together than others.

Mmm. Perhaps I am not yet completely awake, but I can't confirm that
here. (My output is attached)

F.