[XeTeX] TeXLive 2008

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun Nov 9 18:53:52 CET 2008

John Was a écrit :
> I received the TeX Collection DVD recently and hope to install an
> updated version of XeTeX (Windows XP platform) when I've finished a
> current job.  But I think that the recent discussion on the list
> about bugs with PSTricks must have coincided with the time when the
> DVD was being produced:  presumably, in that case, better to go the
> CTAN site and install from there?  I do use PSTricks quite regularly,
> and have had trouble with some of its commands in the 2007
> distribution.

You can still install from the DVD (saving bandwidth) and, right after
installation, run

tlmgr option location http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
tlmgr update bin-texlive texlive.infra
tlmgr update --all

(setting updates from the net, then updating TL core packages first
(fixing important bugs) and updating all packages).

> If that is the case, are there any tips, and especially advice on how
> to update regularly on to a Windows platform?

It all boils down to running 'tlmgr update --all', but I don't know how
to run something regularly on Windows.

> Any advice appreciated.  I could cheat by installing experimentally
> on a spare PC, but it would be nice to get things working on my  main
> machine first time round.

Btw, if you have a TL'07 on your machine, you'd better removing any
reference to the old texlive in the PATH, and unsetting TEXMFCNF before
installation: sometimes an old TL or MikTeX interfers with installation
for some obscure reason.

Manuel.