[XeTeX] Incompatibility between footmisc and xltxtra

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Feb 19 09:57:06 CET 2008

Le 18 févr. 08 à 23:03, Will Robertson a écrit :

> You can hack this code to suit your purposes for now, and I'll
> incorporate it into xltxtra as soon as I can. It's possible that I
> should use this code to test *every character* passed into
> \superscript. Problem there is that it's hard to match the heights
> of the superscripts.
>
> [...]
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \makeatletter
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \begin{document}
> \newsavebox\@tempboxb
> \newcommand\xxt at check@supchar[1]{%
>  \savebox\@tempboxa{#1}%
>  \savebox\@tempboxb{\realsuperscript{#1}}%
>  \@tempswatrue
>  \ifdim\wd\@tempboxa=\wd\@tempboxb
>    \ifdim\ht\@tempboxa=\ht\@tempboxb
>      \ifdim\ht\@tempboxa=\ht\@tempboxb
>        \@tempswafalse
>  \fi\fi\fi
>  \if at tempswa
>    [ \usebox\@tempboxa \usebox\@tempboxb: supscript works:
> \realsuperscript{#1}
>  \else
>    [ \usebox\@tempboxa \usebox\@tempboxb: have to fake it:
> \fakesuperscript{#1}
>  \fi]}
> \setmainfont{Adobe Garamond Pro}
> \xxt at check@supchar{a}
> \xxt at check@supchar{\&}
> \end{document}

There's a problem with \realsuperscript in the above code (apart from
some \makeatletter \makeatother trickery to be fixed): I guess it
applies to the current SVN version of xltxtra, not the TeXLive-2007
version.

I must admit I had stopped using XeTeX regularly, and that I just went
back to it because I'm writing a document for which the Garamond font
is a requirement. I stopped using XeTeX not because I'm tired of it,
but because of the many code changes reported here for XeTeX,
xdvipdfmx and the packages written (like fontspec) or modified (like
pdfpages) for them: there have been so many changes, I stopped trying
to keep track of them.

To get up-to-date XeTeX and xdvipdfmx, you need to download source
tarballs from the SVN repository and compile them. But there are
problems:

- Compiling xdvipdfmx was kind of a mess on the Mac, last I tried <http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2007-April/006316.html
 >. You need libkpathsea which isn't included in MacTeX, and libpng
which isn't included in Mac OS X. Hence you need to use i-Installer to
install gwTeX, which does include libkpathsea, and to install libpng.
Alas, libpng as installed by i-Installer has static libraries only, no
dynamic libraries. Taking all that into account, invocation of
configure should be something like:

$ sh configure
    --with-kpathsea=/usr/local/gwTeX
    --with-ft2lib=/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a
    --with-ft2include=/usr/local/include/freetype2
    --with-pnglib-libdir=/usr/local/lib
    --with-pnglib-include=/usr/local/include/libpng12
    --bindir=/usr/texbin

But last I tried it failed. Has this issue been solved, and is there
now a working procedure to build XeTeX and xdvipdfmx from source on
the Mac? (Apart from using MacPorts or Fink, which I'm not willing to
try right now.)

- Do the SVN sources include up-to-date versions of all the LaTeX
packages written or modified for XeTeX and xdvipdfmx? If not, and the
packages need to be obtained from CTAN, I think I'll pass.

It's these problems which so far made me stick to XeTeX, xdvipdfmx and
assorted LaTeX packages as shipped with MacTeX/TeXLive-2007. If the
situation has not changed since last year, I think I'll just go on
like this, living with the limitations of XeTeX from a year ago (not
from lack of interest, but from lack of time), and wait for the
release of TeXLive-2008.

Bruno