[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx broken on Windows Vista?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Apr 24 12:23:30 CEST 2007

Le 24 avr. 07 à 01:14, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> Le 24 avr. 07 à 00:45, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>>>    --with-pnglib-libdir=/usr/local/lib
>>>    --with-pnglib-include=/usr/local/libpng12
>>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Is this a typing error? Surely it should be /usr/local/include/
>> libpng12.
>
> It was an error indeed. Given the binary libpng installs using
> Apple's Installer, I cannot uninstall it now, unfortunately, to test
> whether the i-Installer version, together with the above options, are
> enough to allow the compilation of xdvipdfmx.

Just tried that finally, after uninstalling all the .dylib elements
installed by libpng-universal.pkg from <http://ethan.tira-
thompson.com/Mac%20OS%20X%20Ports.html>, namely:

libpng.3.16.0.dylib
libpng.3.dylib -> libpng.3.16.0.dylib
libpng.dylib -> libpng.3.16.0.dylib
libpng12.0.16.0.dylib
libpng12.0.dylib -> libpng12.0.16.0.dylib
libpng12.dylib -> libpng12.0.16.0.dylib

These elements turn out to be the only difference with the i-
Installer i-Package, other than the version (1.2.16 for libpng-
universal.pkg, older for i-Installer).

Alas, running:

$ sh configure
    --with-kpathsea=/usr/local/gwTeX
    --with-ft2lib=/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a
    --with-ft2include=/usr/local/include/freetype2
    --with-pnglib-libdir=/usr/local/lib
    --with-pnglib-include=/usr/local/include/libpng12
    --bindir=/usr/texbin

leads to the same failure at the make stage: make still wants /usr/
local/lib/libpng12.dylib.

Motivated by these problems of dependencies, I had another look at
MacPorts. As it happens, they have portfiles for XeTeX and xdvipdfmx:

<http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/dports/tex>

Alas again, all things TeX in MacPorts seem to rely on teTeX 3. For
xdvipdfmx:

depends_lib	lib:libkpathsea:teTeX
		lib:libpng:libpng
		lib:libz:zlib
		port:expat
		port:fontconfig
		port:freetype
		port:dvipdfmx

and for xetex:

depends_lib	port:teTeX
		port:xdvipdfmx

Hence MacPorts doesn't seem to be able to play nice with MacTeX.

Bruno Voisin