[XeTeX] choosing semibold?

Fr. Michael Gilmary FrMichaelGilmary at MaroniteMonks.org
Thu Dec 4 22:55:21 CET 2008

> Hi Everyone,
>

> What’s the appropriate way to choose a semibold version of a font
> while in the main document?  I assume that \textbf{Blah} goes for the
> bold weight of the \setromanfont{} font.  Is there an equivalent
> command for semibold?  I’m using Times LT Std which has Roman, Italic,
> Semibold, SemiboldItalic, Bold, BoldItalic, and even ExtraBold.
>

> A second question: how do I access the ExtraBold, or any other
> specific font weight, without redefining all calls to \textbf{}?

Dear Chris:

Try:

\newfontfamily\semibf{Times LT Std Semibold}

\semibf{This text should be semibold.}

\textbf{But this text is bold.}

And the same for ExtraBold, just define a new font family, as needed.
See the fontspec documentation, p. 5.

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma