[XeTeX] font not working with xelatex

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Oct 31 10:17:40 CET 2007

On 30 Oct 2007, at 5:53 am, Paul Tremblay wrote:

> I've made a font that represents the alternative quikscript alphabet:

> Actually, I've made two fonts. One contains glyphs in the ASCII
> region.
> The other contains glyphs in the private use in the Unicode range.
> When
> I use the ascii font, Xelatex produces a PDF document as I would
> expect.
> But when I use the unicode font, it doesn't work. It says that it is
> removing the PDF document at the end of a run (xelatex
> my_document.text),

The "Output file removed" message is printed by the xdvipdfmx driver
when it encounters a fatal problem...

> and then it says right after this that it is
> outputting text to a PDF document.

...so this is an incorrect message; even though the driver failed,
xetex still gives its standard "Output written to..." message because
as far as it's concerned, it finished the job.

This will be improved to make it less misleading (I've just recently
revised the code so that it handles this properly).

> But no PDF document is created. When
> I look at the log file, I see no errors.

The error wouldn't be in the .log file because xetex ran
successfully; it's the output driver (executed automatically in the
background) that failed.

As a first step to try and diagnose this, run xelatex and xdvipdfmx
as separate steps:

     xelatex -no-pdf my_document.tex

     xdvipdfmx -vv -E my_document.xdv

The -vv (verbosity) flag here will make xdvipdfmx show various
messages as it runs. This may help us figure out what's wrong.