[XeTeX] font not working with xelatex

Paul Tremblay phthenry at iglou.com
Wed Oct 31 17:15:28 CET 2007

Jonathan Kew wrote:

> As a first step to try and diagnose this, run xelatex and xdvipdfmx
> as separate steps:
>
>      xelatex -no-pdf my_document.tex
>
>      xdvipdfmx -vv -E my_document.xdv
>
> The -vv (verbosity) flag here will make xdvipdfmx show various
> messages as it runs. This may help us figure out what's wrong.

That did it! I ran the two steps, and the second one told me it couldn't
find Gentium Regular. When creating my font, I opened up the Gentium
font and simply pasted in my 40 glyphs into the private area. (I am
releasing the font under the OFL, so I am doing nothing unethical or
illegal.) I changed the name of the font to Thoth Unicode, but I didn't
realize I also needed to change the TTF names as well. I changed these,
and the font works.

Thanks!

Paul