[XeTeX] Undefined control sequence problems

Axel Etzold AEtzold at gmx.de
Wed Oct 31 09:57:24 CET 2007

Dear all,

when trying to compile a standard .tex file using xetex,
I get lots of "undefined control sequence" errors.
The simple .tex file is below.
I am using xetex on an OpenSuse 10.2 64 bit linux machine.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Axel

-------------- Error messages:
>xetex d2.tex
This is XeTeX, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
entering extended mode
(./d2.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \documentclass
                  {article}[10pt]
?
! Undefined control sequence.
l.5 \begin
          {document}
?
! Undefined control sequence.
l.7 \section
            *{My very first xetex document}
?
[1] )
Output written on d2.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on d2.log.

---------- .tex  script

\documentclass{article}[10pt]
%\usepackage{fontspec}
%\setromanfont{GaramondBQMed}

\begin{document}

\section*{My very first xetex document}

Hello, world. I hope to be able to typeset in OpenType Fonts easily in the
future, using accents both in Latex style \'{e}\"{a} and in Unicode, as
well as mathematical $formulae$.

\end{document}