[XeTeX] How to make hyphenation work in XeLaTeX?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Mon Jan 22 18:41:44 CET 2007

On 22 Jan 2007, at 4:04 pm, Alexej Kryukov wrote:

> On Monday 22 January 2007 13:43, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>>
>> For Russian (or presumably other Cyrillic-script languages), I think
>> you want to say
>>
>>    \def\cyrillicencoding{EU1}
>>
>> *before* loading Babel, IIRC.
>
> In fact, this solution is not sufficient for Russian and Ukrainian,
> as it allows to input cyrillic characters, but provides no support
> for localized strings, which are defined in russianb.ldf as sequences
> of text commands (\cyra, \cyrb ...). So in order to make the Cyrillic
> part of Babel really compatible with XeTeX, these text commands should
> be first defined in the EU1 encoding.

Right. The solution was intended to allow these languages to be used
within the text, with proper hyphenation and font selection, but did
not address the Babel localized strings.

For more on this, see <http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2006-January/
003054.html>. I think the approach described there is still valid,
except that the encoding name has been changed to "EU1" (formerly,
xelatex users were using "U" for Unicode fonts, but that's officially
"unknown", I think).

> P.S. I was always wondering, what the EU1 abbreviation stands for? Do
> the first 2 letters mean "European"? If so, than placing definitions
> for Cyrillic letters (at least _some_ Cyrillic letters) into this
> encoding may seem irrelevant...

"Experimental Unicode"..... so Cyrillic letters are welcome :)