[XeTeX] How to make hyphenation work in XeLaTeX?

Alexej Kryukov anagnost at yandex.ru
Mon Jan 22 17:04:44 CET 2007

On Monday 22 January 2007 13:43, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> For Russian (or presumably other Cyrillic-script languages), I think
> you want to say
>
>    \def\cyrillicencoding{EU1}
>
> *before* loading Babel, IIRC.

In fact, this solution is not sufficient for Russian and Ukrainian,
as it allows to input cyrillic characters, but provides no support
for localized strings, which are defined in russianb.ldf as sequences
of text commands (\cyra, \cyrb ...). So in order to make the Cyrillic
part of Babel really compatible with XeTeX, these text commands should
be first defined in the EU1 encoding.

P.S. I was always wondering, what the EU1 abbreviation stands for? Do
the first 2 letters mean "European"? If so, than placing definitions
for Cyrillic letters (at least _some_ Cyrillic letters) into this
encoding may seem irrelevant...

--
Regards,
Alexey Kryukov <anagnost {at} yandex {dot} ru>

Moscow State University
Historical Faculty