[XeTeX] Installer error

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun Jan 7 18:37:33 CET 2007

On 7 Jan 2007, at 2:21 pm, Johnny Andersson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> installation fails for me with the pre-release version 0.995 package:
> (MacBook 2GHz, Tiger)

You didn't mention what kind of TeX installation you're trying to
install XeTeX into... this is probably a crucial factor.

At this point, TeX distributions on OS X are in a state of flux, and
the XeTeX package has not been keeping track of all the experiments
going on. However, the most recent versions of (a) Gerben Wierda's
distribution via i-Installer; (b) the MacTeX package from TUG; or (c)
the cross-platform TeXLive distribution (pre-release TeXLive 2006
version) all include xetex as a pre-installed component. Therefore,
my suggestion would be to use one of these as your TeX environment,
in which case no separate XeTeX installation step is needed.

The XeTeX web pages are not really up-to-date with the current
situation (sorry!); as things settle down and releases are finalized,
I hope to do something about this.