[XeTeX] Pronunciation of "XeTeX" in various languages

Thomas Hühn newsgroups at thomas-huehn.de
Wed Feb 21 20:23:53 CET 2007

Robert Spence <spence at saar.de> writes:

> But seriously:
> How many Germans actually follow Knuth's instructions in the first
> place?

I tried this pronunciation after reading Knuth, but quickly abandoned
any thought about it. And I've never heard a German pronounce it like
that.

> Don't they normally---provided they're speaking High German and not a
> local dialect---say the last sound of "TeX" the same way as they say
> the "ch" in "ich" (rather than the "ch" in "Bach")?

Yes, and the reason is quite simple. In standard German those two sounds
are in complementary distribution, and after [e] stands the "ich" sound.
We are all conditioned to using it. :-)

Thomas