[XeTeX] Pronunciation of "XeTeX" in various languages

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Feb 21 21:01:57 CET 2007

Am 21.02.2007 um 20:05 schrieb Robert Spence:

> ... the Saarlanders who will say /'ʃɛ.tɛʃ/ (like the way they say
> "isch" instead of "ich")?
>
> ... the hypercorrect Saarlanders who will say /'çɛ.tɛç/ (like the
> way they say "Französich und Englich" instead of "Französisch und
> Englisch")?

This peripheral folk also knows how to pronounce the name of this
town correctly: Merzig. I think it's something like /'mɛr.ʒiç/. So,
with the right instructor, they could learn to
pronounce /'çei.tɛç/. Or at least /'hei.tɛç/!

> But seriously:
> How many Germans actually follow Knuth's instructions in the first
> place?
> Don't they normally---provided they're speaking High German and not a
> local dialect---say the last sound of "TeX" the same way as they say
> the "ch" in "ich" (rather than the "ch" in "Bach")?

Yes, that's my impression, too. Though a few geeks might try to
pronounce it like Greeks ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Banken sprengen heißt Sonne rein lassen.