[XeTeX] Pronunciation of "XeTeX" in various languages

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Wed Feb 21 20:05:58 CET 2007

On 21 Feb 2007, at 15:52 , Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 21.02.2007 um 15:03 schrieb Robert Spence:
>
>> But what about the beginning?
>
> It's of course /tɛx/ in reverse! XeTeX can write forward and
> backward.

... precisely what I was afraid you would say!!  But in that case,
what about...

... the Bavarians who will say /'kɛ.tɛx/ (like the way they say
"China", i.e. like "Chiemsee", with a [k])?

... the Saarlanders who will say /'ʃɛ.tɛʃ/ (like the way they say
"isch" instead of "ich")?

... the hypercorrect Saarlanders who will say /'çɛ.tɛç/ (like the
way they say "Französich und Englich" instead of "Französisch und
Englisch")?

But seriously:
How many Germans actually follow Knuth's instructions in the first
place?
Don't they normally---provided they're speaking High German and not a
local dialect---say the last sound of "TeX" the same way as they say
the "ch" in "ich" (rather than the "ch" in "Bach")?

-- Rob Spence
Applied Linguistics
Saarland University