[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx broken on Windows Vista?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Apr 24 00:13:37 CEST 2007

Le 23 avr. 07 à 18:31, Bruno Voisin a écrit :

> I'll try your suggestion later this evening. Given it will be on my
> PowerBook G4 laptop at home instead of my MacPro desktop at work,
> compilation will be much slower. I'll get back to the list if it
> succeeds in a reasonable amount of time.

Finally... (all the following on Macs)

How to compile xdvipdfmx on Mac OS X 10.4.9

(without Fink or MacPorts, that is -- it may be simpler with them, I
haven't tried)

(1) Get a source tarball from <http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/
xdvipdfmx/TRUNK/>.

(2) Make sure you've got gwTeX installed.

-> That's necessary to get the kpathsea libraries, even if you're
compiling for TeXLive-2007.

(3) Install libpng from <http://ethan.tira-thompson.com/Mac%20OS%20X%
20Ports.html>, or install it from source.

-> The i-Installer version lacks the dynamic version (.dylib) of the
libpng binary, it only installs the static version (.a). Hence the
need to install it libpng yourself.

(4) Run in Terminal:

$ sh configure
   --with-kpathsea=/usr/local/gwTeX
   --with-ft2lib=/usr/local/lib/libfreetype.a
   --with-ft2include=/usr/local/include/freetype2
   --bindir=/usr/texbin
$ make
$ sudo make install

-> Put all the options in the first instruction on the same line,
they're shown here on separate lines for clarity.

-> The first option --with-kpathsea tells where to find kpathsea, the
next two --with-ftlib2 and --with-ft2include where to find FreeType2,
and the last option --bindir where to install the built xdvipdfmx.

-> In order to avoid installing the dynamic version of libpng, I
tried two possibilities, namely two alternative series of
supplementary options for configure:

   --with-pnglib-libdir=/usr/local/lib
   --with-pnglib-include=/usr/local/libpng12

or

   --enable-static
   --disable-shared

No joy! Make really needs libpng.dylib.

What the compiled xdvipdfmx yield with PDF files

I applied to inclusion of a PDF file (with matching .bb file) three
versions of xdvipdfmx:

- xdvipdfmx-tl: xdvipdfmx as in TeXLive-2007.

- xdvipdfmx-nopatch: xdvipdfmx compiled as above, based on the
current SVN/TRUNK.

- xdvipdfmx-patched: xdvipdfmx compiled from SVN/TRUNK after applying
the patches given in <http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2007-March/
006073.html>.

The test file reads:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[xetex]{graphicx} % or
% \usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphics} % or
% \usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphics}
\begin{document}
Some pre-image text.
\bigskip
\includegraphics[scale=.8]{power3d.pdf}
\bigskip
Some post-image text.
\end{document}

Result:

- TeXLive xdvipdfmx + \usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphicx}: PDF image
visible in PDF output.

- TeXLive xdvipdfmx + \usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphicx}: PDF image
visible in PDF output.

- TeXLive xdvipdfmx + \usepackage[xetex]{graphicx}: PDF image visible
in PDF output.

- SVN xdvipdfmx + \usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphicx}: PDF image absent
from PDF output.

- SVN xdvipdfmx + \usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphicx}: PDF image absent
from PDF output.

- SVN xdvipdfmx + \usepackage[xetex]{graphicx}: PDF image visible in
PDF output.

- Patched SVN xdvipdfmx + \usepackage[dvipdfm]{graphicx}: PDF image
visible in PDF output.

- Patched SVN xdvipdfmx + \usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphicx}: PDF image
visible in PDF output.

- Patched SVN xdvipdfmx + \usepackage[xetex]{graphicx}: PDF image
visible in PDF output.

In summary

- Compilation of xdvipdfmx on the Mac currently requires some tweaking.

- The reported bug is indeed a bug in the current SVN version of
xdvipdfmx, and shows up also on Macs.

- The patch proposed on March 7 corrects the bug.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin