[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx broken on Windows Vista?

caapv 208 caapv208 at yahoo.co.jp
Sun Apr 22 16:21:10 CEST 2007

--- Toralf Senger <Senger at mpimp-golm.mpg.de> wrote:

> Dear all (or maybe  Jonathan, Akira?),
>
> xdvipdfmx seems to be unable to embed PDFs on
> Windows Vista (or is gswin32 v8.54 the culprit?).
> This is what i tried:

Are you sure you are embedding *only* PDFs into PDF?

> On Windows Vista:
> xelatex test.tex        -->no pictures in output PDF
>
> xelatex --no-pdf test.tex
> xdvipdfmx test.xdv      -->no pictures in output PDF
>
> Taking that xdv (created on Vista) and running
> xdvipdfmx on my Powerbook works. Here the logs:
> Windows Vista:
> C:\TeX-Dokumente>xdvipdfmx PhD-Thesis.xdv
> Test.xdv -> Test.pdf
> [1
> ** WARNING ** Interpreting special command  ET (ps:)
> failed.

This kind of warning should never occur if they are
PDFs that you are trying to embed.  Anyway, i'm not a
psychic and cannot help you unless you offer a necessary
information to debug things.

> ** WARNING ** >> at page="1" position="(106.347,
> 522.281)" (in PDF)
> ** WARNING ** >> xxx
> "PSfile="../Abbildungen/ThesisFig4.pdf" llx=12.9514
> lly=190
> .2..."
> ** WARNING ** >> Reading special command stopped
> around >>"../Abbildungen/Thesis
> Fig4.pdf" llx=12.9514 lly=190.28596 ur...<<
> ]

If it is invoked by an PS inclusion, then this seems
like a bug I have introduced into a new versions of
dvipdfmx.  See
http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2007-March/006073.html
for a fix.  But on the other hand, if you see this
as the result of PDF inclusion, then your def file
in the graphic bundle is messed up and xdvipdfmx should
fail here.

> Do you have any idea what could cause this problem?

No.  You have to post a minimal example.  At least the
xdv file.  Of course it helps if you are willing to
show the option you use to load the graphics package.

> xdvipdfmx  saying "Interpreting special command
> bcolor (ps:) failed"

If the MacOS X version of xdvipdfmx can produce a
perfect PDF from this xdv file, then it is this
binary on MacOS X which must be corrupted.
"bcolor" is a (pdf:) specific special whose
interpretation definitely must fail if it is used in
(ps:) special.

> Puzzled,
> Toralf

Regards,