[XeTeX] Correct LaTeX-logo – how?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun May 7 15:26:22 CEST 2006

On 7 May 2006, at 2:12 pm, Robert Spence wrote:

> Joanna, Jonathan,
>
> When I tried to typeset the file xetex-sample2e.tex I got the
> following error message:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> \XeTeX ...flectbox {E}\else \XeTeXuseglyphmetrics
>                                                    =1 \setbox 0=\hbox
> {E}\dim...
> l.60 ...eTeX\ logo within \emph{emphasized} text.}
>                                                     Comparing it with
> ?
>
> A Spotlight search of my harddisk pointed me towards an email that
> Jonathan posted on the [OS X TeX] mailing list on 28 March 2006,
> which says:
>
>> In the current development version of XeTeX, which will be released
> as 0.991 when I >get enough time to put a new package together, there
> is a parameter >\XeTeXuseglyphmetrics you can set that causes the
> engine to use true glyph height and >depth metrics in these
> computations, instead of the font-wide ascent and descent. >(This is
> an optional setting, as there's a performance hit for using this, and
> for >simple running text it is often not needed.)
>
> The XeTeX version I have is only 0.99b (which appears to be the
> latest one available to us mere mortals...) --- or is it possible to
> get version 0.991 already?

Oops, you're right - I'm sorry! That definition of the logo makes use
of the new glyph-metrics support, and so it won't run on the current
Mac OS X release. (It'll work in non-slanted text, so if you remove
the \emph sentence, you should be OK.)

I've been meaning to get 0.991 for OS X out "real soon" for a while
now.... just need to put the installer packages built, but the
inclusion of Intel binaries means that I need to take some extra care
with this process. And of course getting a Linux package together has
been keeping me occupied lately.

Meanwhile, you can remove that statement from the logo definition;
the only bad effect will be less accurate placement of the rotated
"E" in the italic version. (You can work around it by adjusting the
shift amounts, but this gets to be font-specific.)

Of course, if you care to download the source code and build your own
copy of 0.991, that's fine.... just get http://scripts.sil.org/svn-
view/xetex/TAGS/xetex-0.991.tar.gz, and run the build-xetex and
install-xetex scripts. Requires that you have development tools
installed, but aside from that it's fairly straightforward.

My apologies for posting an example you can't run!!! <blush>