[XeTeX] Correct LaTeX-logo – how?

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Sun May 7 15:12:48 CEST 2006

Joanna, Jonathan,

When I tried to typeset the file xetex-sample2e.tex I got the
following error message:

! Undefined control sequence.
\XeTeX ...flectbox {E}\else \XeTeXuseglyphmetrics
                                                   =1 \setbox 0=\hbox
{E}\dim...
l.60 ...eTeX\ logo within \emph{emphasized} text.}
                                                    Comparing it with
?

A Spotlight search of my harddisk pointed me towards an email that
Jonathan posted on the [OS X TeX] mailing list on 28 March 2006,
which says:

 >In the current development version of XeTeX, which will be released
as 0.991 when I >get enough time to put a new package together, there
is a parameter >\XeTeXuseglyphmetrics you can set that causes the
engine to use true glyph height and >depth metrics in these
computations, instead of the font-wide ascent and descent. >(This is
an optional setting, as there's a performance hit for using this, and
for >simple running text it is often not needed.)

The XeTeX version I have is only 0.99b (which appears to be the
latest one available to us mere mortals...) --- or is it possible to
get version 0.991 already?

-- Robert Spence