[XeTeX] Correct LaTeX-logo – how?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sun May 7 14:09:18 CEST 2006

On 7 May 2006, at 12:16 pm, Joanna Rycko wrote:

> Hello one more time,
>
> using XeLaTeX I wanted to typeset LaTeX or even TeX logo in my
> document. But when the text is written in sans serif font, the both
> logos are still in serif font.

I think this means that you're loading a package of some kind that
overrides the original definitions of the logos, as they should "just
work" in a default XeLaTeX document.

I'm attaching a copy of sample2e with fonts changed to Gill Sans;
typesetting this should give the logos in the same font as the
surrounding text. (It also includes a sample XeLaTeX logo.)

Note that the kerns and vertical shifts in the logos really need to
be adjusted for different fonts; the best spacing depends on the
glyph shapes that are being put together. So although this sample
shows them working in accordance with the definitions, the
positioning of the small-caps "A" in LaTeX is not ideal.

If you find that a particular package is redefining \TeX, etc., and
you want to preserve the original definition that doesn't mess with
the typeface, you might be able to do something like this in your
preamble:

	\let\originalTeX = \TeX
	\usepackage{some-package-that-redefines-TeX}
	\let\TeX = \originalTeX

(And similarly for \LaTeX, of course.) And if you want to fine-tune
the glyph positioning, you'll need to find the original \TeX and
\LaTeX macros and make copies of them, changing the \kern, \raise,
etc dimensions until you're happy with the results for the particular
typefaces you're using.