[XeTeX] grchyph/sanhyph and TeX Live

Yves Codet ycodet at club-internet.fr
Wed Jun 21 17:48:50 CEST 2006

Hello.

Le 21 juin 06, à 15:26, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> On 21 Jun 2006, at 9:42 am, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> Yves Codet wrote:
>>>
>>> If I understand well a good solution would be to create Unicode
>>> patterns after patterns meant for 8-bit or 7-bit encodings. As far as
>>> I'm concerned I'm ready to work on frhyph.tex and adapt it (if its
>>>
>> ctxtools --pat --utf fr
>>
>> will give you lang-fr.pat/hyp files in unicode
>>
>> you can rename them and move them to a spot where xetex can find them
>
> That's fine as a one-off approach for a knowledgeable user. But we
> need agreement among packagers/distributors as to how this should be
> managed in general, so that users don't need to know about it.

I've not tried the above command yet so I don't know what the output
looks like. I guess it will need some editing anyway.

>> (for context, they go to tex/context/patterns so one could as well put
>> them there)
>
> I'd really like to have pattern files in tex/generic/hyphen or some
> such place that are usable for both latex and context (and any other
> format), using either (pdf)tex or xetex engines. Anything that
> involves maintaining separate collections of patterns for different
> engines and/or formats is a headache just waiting to happen.

Quite right. Can't there be a single Unicode collection somewhere, for
all engines that can or must use such patterns? Is something like:

	tex/generic/hyphen/standard_tex_patterns/
	tex/generic/hyphen/unicode_tex_patterns/

a bad (or too simple) suggestion?

Best wishes,

Yves