[XeTeX] grchyph/sanhyph and TeX Live

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 21 15:26:15 CEST 2006

On 21 Jun 2006, at 9:42 am, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Yves Codet wrote:
>>
>> If I understand well a good solution would be to create Unicode
>> patterns after patterns meant for 8-bit or 7-bit encodings. As far as
>> I'm concerned I'm ready to work on frhyph.tex and adapt it (if its
>>
> ctxtools --pat --utf fr
>
> will give you lang-fr.pat/hyp files in unicode
>
> you can rename them and move them to a spot where xetex can find them

That's fine as a one-off approach for a knowledgeable user. But we
need agreement among packagers/distributors as to how this should be
managed in general, so that users don't need to know about it.

> (for context, they go to tex/context/patterns so one could as well put
> them there)

I'd really like to have pattern files in tex/generic/hyphen or some
such place that are usable for both latex and context (and any other
format), using either (pdf)tex or xetex engines. Anything that
involves maintaining separate collections of patterns for different
engines and/or formats is a headache just waiting to happen.

But this is an issue for other groups to discuss, as it's much wider
than just the xetex world.