[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx warnings..

Jjgod Jiang gzjjgod at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 14:01:42 CEST 2006

Hi all,

Today I've been tracing the annoying warning messages xdvipdfmx
produces, for example:

** WARNING ** Found file "fontname.otf" for TrueType font but it
doesn't look like a TrueType...
** WARNING ** Found file "fontname.otf" for PFB font but it doesn't
look like a PFB...

I found that the problem are generated from 2 sources, CIDFont_cache_find()
in cid.c and otf_create_ToUnicode_stream() in tt_cmap.c when calling DPXFOPEN,
both places use a ``try and failed'' mechanism: first we try to open
it as TrueType,
if failed, try to open it as Type1, if failed again, try to open it as
CFF... But
the really function DPXFOPEN will call does generate a warning message when
trying with a wrong file type.

cid.c:
if (CIDFont_type0_open(font, map_name, cmap_csi, opt)    < 0 &&
	CIDFont_type2_open(font, map_name, cmap_csi, opt)    < 0 &&
	CIDFont_type0_t1open(font, map_name, cmap_csi, opt)  < 0 &&
	CIDFont_type0_t1copen(font, map_name, cmap_csi, opt) < 0 &&
	CIDFont_base_open (font, map_name, cmap_csi, opt)    < 0
	) {

tt_cmap.c:
fp = DPXFOPEN(font_name, DPX_RES_TYPE_TTFONT);
  if (!fp) {
    fp = DPXFOPEN(font_name, DPX_RES_TYPE_OTFONT);
  }

So I'll suggest when doing these tests, we should disable warning
temporarily (which requires some modifications to error.c).

J.