[XeTeX] Differing font name handling betwixt Mac OS X and W32 (and Linux?) XeTeX

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 16:03:18 CEST 2006

On 19/06/2006, at 22:34 , William Adams wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2006, at 8:12 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>
>> Does "Garamond Premier Pro" also work? It should, and avoids the need
>> to look up postscript names (expensive).
>
> Yes, it works, but I'm still getting the pause after reading
> fontspec.cfg

Just a quick note here: I get pauses on occasion in XeTeX on my (none
too snappy) PowerBook 12" 867Mhz with 640MB RAM -- and after
seemingly innocuous file loading/processing there'll just be a delay
in the console output of a second or two (or maybe more).

There's nothing in fontspec.cfg itself that should take long to
process, so it sounds like you're seeing the same kind of thing --
I'm guessing it's just a font or file cache of some sort, and of
course, it's entirely un-reproducible.

Longing for a MacBook to obviate this speed problem :) It's really
not an issue for everyday use though. (And note it's not just XeTeX
here; besides, anything compiling the fontspec documentation will
take ages as many many fonts get loaded and used.)

Will