[XeTeX] xdvipdfmx warnings..

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 16 00:15:30 CEST 2006

On 15 Jun 2006, at 1:01 pm, Jjgod Jiang wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Today I've been tracing the annoying warning messages xdvipdfmx
> produces, for example:
>
> ** WARNING ** Found file "fontname.otf" for TrueType font but it
> doesn't look like a TrueType...
> ** WARNING ** Found file "fontname.otf" for PFB font but it doesn't
> look like a PFB...
>
> I found that the problem are generated from 2 sources,
> CIDFont_cache_find()
> in cid.c and otf_create_ToUnicode_stream() in tt_cmap.c when
> calling DPXFOPEN,

Thanks for the notes on this. There's quite a bit about the whole
font-finding and management that I'd like to tidy up, and certainly
getting rid of these messages is part of it; I just haven't had time
to work on it yet. So your tracking of where they're generated is a
useful pointer.

Another one that's pretty annoying is that xdvipdfmx will fail to
load a TrueType font if the extension is .TTF rather than .ttf (which
I've seen on some fonts from the Windows world); this happens, IIRC,
because after the font has been found by fontconfig, the name gets
sent through kpathsearch, which decides it isn't valid for a TT font,
and returns a failure. This whole code path needs to be re-designed,
as full paths from FC don't need to be sent through the path-search
like simple filenames from the old .map.

Same thing probably applies to other extensions like .OTF and .PFB; I
haven't encountered those, but they could show up, especially on case-
insensitive systems.