[XeTeX] Re: ABD: EveryShipout initializing macros

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Sat Jan 14 19:07:00 CET 2006

On 14 Jan 2006, at 5:10 pm, Scott Murman wrote:

> some follow-on information.

Follow-on? I didn't see the original message, nor does it seem to be
in the list archive. Wonder where it went?

> this problem seems to be caused by an interaction with the eso-pic
> package.  again, there aren't any noticeable problems for plain
> latex.  below is an example.  not only does it slow down processing
> of the file, i don't actually get the image included in every page.
>
> \usepackage{eso-pic}
> \newcommand\BackgroundPicture{%
>     \put(0,0){%
>       \parbox[b][\paperheight]{\paperwidth}{%
>         \vfill
>         \centering
>         \includegraphics[width=\paperwidth,height=\paperheight,%
>                          keepaspectratio]{/Users/smurman/Documents/
> world_back.pdf}%
>         \vfill
>       }}}
> % The picture is centered on the page background
> \AddToShipoutPicture{\BackgroundPicture}

I tried this in a 7-page paper I'm currently writing, and the image
appeared on every page, as expected. So I don't know what's happening
in your case. (And it didn't seem to run significantly slower, either.)

> On Jan 13, 2006, at 10:24 AM, Scott Murman wrote:
>
>> hello, what is this EveryShipout doing?  it is extremely slow on
>> my system.  it doesn't happen for regular latex, only xelatex, but
>> i see nothing in the archives discussing it.  i'm using tex 2005
>> with xetex 0.99b.  both AAT and OpenType fonts are extremely
>> slow.  the older versions were much faster.

Interesting.... do you have Norton anti-virus installed, by any
chance? That has been known to cause serious slow-downs. Aside from
that, I don't know offhand why it should be "extremely slow" compared
to older versions.