[XeTeX] updated fontspec/xltxtra/ifxetex

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Aug 14 12:32:13 CEST 2006

Le 13 août 06 à 18:44, Will Robertson a écrit :

> That reminds me; the XeTeX reference guide (unchanged from July) is
> also available there:
>   <http://scripts.sil.org/svn-public/xetex/TRUNK/texmf/doc/xetex/>
> It will need to be updated for XeTeX 0.995.

Hi Will (or is it Jonathan who defined this),

You'll probably think me picky (and indeed I probably am), but if I
understood correctly Jonathan's explanations from some time ago:

> Le 15 mai 06 à 18:25, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> On 15 May 2006, at 11:07 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>
>>> and only to be inaccessible through AAT (or ATSUI, I never
>>> quite understood the difference):
>>
>> AAT (Apple Advanced Typography) is the enhanced TrueType font format
>> that includes extra tables to implement typographic features/options,
>> and (I think) also refers to the overall font-layout technology;
>> ATSUI (Apple Type Services for Unicode Imaging) is the particular
>> implementation of AAT in the Mac OS. So we use the ATSUI programming
>> interfaces and libraries to render text using AAT fonts and features.
>>
>> In principle, there could be other implementations of AAT layout (and
>> in fact, ICU Layout does support some AAT features, though XeTeX
>> doesn't make use of this); ATSUI is the only complete one around,
>> though (AFAIK).

- AAT is a font format, and ATSUI a set of libraries allowing its use
on OS X;

- OT is a font format, and ICU a set of libraries allowing its use on
Linux, Windows and OS X.

Accordingly, I find the naming of two font options /AAT and /ICU a
bit confusing:

> /AAT Explicitly use the ATSUI renderer (Mac OS X only).
> /ICU Explicitly use the ICU OpenType renderer (only useful on Mac
> OS X).

Wouldn't it make more sense to use either /AAT and /OT, or /ATSUI
and /ICU (even if that means losing a bit of symmetry, in that the
two options wouldn't have the same number of letters any more -- one
can't take the mathematician out of oneself so easily).

Bruno Voisin