[XeTeX] SBL Hebrew

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at physik.uni-erlangen.de
Sat Aug 5 12:17:23 CEST 2006

Malte Rosenau <xetex_malte at web.de> writes:

> Here's a small example that should exhibit the problem:
>
> http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~mrosena/sblhebrew.tex
> http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~mrosena/sblhebrew.pdf
>
> The first line has SIL Ezra which is more correct but still far from being
> perfect (the meteg is closer to the segol than to the qamats). Second
> line is the same text showing SBL Hebrew. The third line is simply
> consonant + vowel + meteg, the corrrect input order according
> to SBL Hebrew's manual. The manual also states that older versions of
> uniscribe might have problems handling the meteg correctly, so this
> looks like some problem with XeTeX's OpenType engine...

What would correct rendering look like? I have tested sblhebrew.tex with
gedit linked against pango 1.12.1. Compared with what XeTeX does, the
qamats is shifted to the right and the meteg touches the qamats, even at
really huge font sizes. Is that correct? The position used for the
qamats used by XeTeX looks identical to what gedit+pango uses when I
input only aleph+qamats without meteg.

cheerio
ralf