[XeTeX] A bug in (Xe)LaTeX?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Aug 18 22:46:21 CEST 2005

Le 18 août 05 à 21:55, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

>     \usepackage{geometry,graphicx}

I think you could remove the call of the geometry package here.

>     \addtolength{\latexitdepth}{2\fboxrule}    % correct correction
> (was 0.72 pt before)

I'm a bit confused why \fboxrule is here (there's no framed box as
far as I can tell).

>     \begin{document}
>     {\voffset=-1truein \hoffset=-1truein
>      \ifpdf
>        \pdfpageheight=\latexitheight
>        \pdfpagewidth=\latexitwidth
>      \else
>        \special{papersize=\latexitheight,\latexitwidth}%
>      \fi
>      \shipout\vbox{\scalebox{\latexitscalefactor}{\usebox
> {\latexitbox}}}%
>     }%
>     \end{document}

For explaining the problem you report, I would imagine some sort of
mixup between horizontal or vertical mode, yielding unwanted positive
or negative vertical space somewhere. I've for a long time ceased to
consider (La)TeX as deterministic regarding this issue (ie deciding
whether it's in horizontal or vertical mode).

Does it change anything if you move the code setting the page
dimensions (between {\voffset and \fi, and the final }%) before the
\begin {document}? (I'm not sure you can do this with dvips, as I
don't know whether the \special will be effective if it occurs before
\begin{document}.)

And then, does it change anything if you add a \null (switching to
horizontal mode) before \shipout, or before \scalebox, or if you
replace \vbox by \hbox or \vcenter? I experienced bugs in LaTeX's
page setting code, and had to add such a \null as the first element
on a page, to position page elements precisely when designing a
letterhead in LaTeX. If you don't do this, you'll never know whether
or not the reference point at the beginning of a page is exactly  1in
+ \topmargin + \headheight + \headsep + \topskip below the upper edge
of the sheet of paper as it should.

That probably won't help, but who knows?

Bruno Voisin