[XeTeX] A bug in (Xe)LaTeX?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Aug 18 23:46:10 CEST 2005

Am 18.08.2005 um 22:46 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> Le 18 aožt 05 ˆ 21:55, Peter Dyballa a Žcrit :
>
>>     \usepackage{geometry,graphicx}
>
> I think you could remove the call of the geometry package here.

That's right!

>>     \addtolength{\latexitdepth}{2\fboxrule}    % correct correction
>> (was 0.72 pt before)
>
> I'm a bit confused why \fboxrule is here (there's no framed box as far
> as I can tell).

Well, the sizes files says it's 0.4pt (I wanted to know that!) -- and I
think this area surrounds always a box. Otherwise the framed box would
be fatter ...

> For explaining the problem you report, I would imagine some sort of
> mixup between horizontal or vertical mode, yielding unwanted positive
> or negative vertical space somewhere. I've for a long time ceased to
> consider (La)TeX as deterministic regarding this issue (ie deciding
> whether it's in horizontal or vertical mode).
>
> Does it change anything if you move the code setting the page
> dimensions (between {\voffset and \fi, and the final }%) before the
> \begin {document}? (I'm not sure you can do this with dvips, as I
> don't know whether the \special will be effective if it occurs before
> \begin{document}.)

It works for both and works for both in the same way: no change!

> And then, does it change anything if you add a \null (switching to
> horizontal mode) before \shipout,

No change. (Except, when brought the TeXShop window into the foreground
and TeXShop refreshed the contents after the XeLaTeXiT script had run,
the characters looked more crisp!)

>  or before \scalebox,

For both there is a change: now there is more space between ¶ and the
upper margin -- and now the y in the denominator is clipped ... I'd say
equally for both. The BoundingBoxes are still the same.

This situation looks very promising: I can increase \latexitwidth and
\latexitdepth and I can change the height of the box and position the
formula in it symmetrically!

>  or if you replace \vbox by \hbox

\hbox brings clipping back to ¶.

>  or \vcenter?

Scrap!

> That probably won't help, but who knows?

No! The \null in the right place makes things work! (I should remember
this \null a few times before I die!!)

--
Greetings

   Pete

For some reason, this fortune reminds everyone of Marvin Zelkowitz.