[XeTeX] CJK and ideographic font names

Paolo Matteucci p.matteucci at soton.ac.uk
Thu Sep 9 23:04:56 CEST 2004

Il giorno 09/set/04, alle 21:48, Jonathan Kew ha scritto:

>> You're right, of course... but I had tried that, and XeTeX issued the
>> same error message... well almost: "! Font
>> \U/stkaiti/m/n/17.28=STKaiti at 17.28pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
>> file or ATSUI font not found"...
>>

> That's odd, it worked for me when I tried your file. I don't have the
> CJK package, though, and I had commented out the lmodern, textcomp,
> inputenc, and maybe one or two others that seemed likely to conflict.
>
>> This time, though, I ignored it and entered \nonstopmode and
>> -consistently enough- nothing came out *except* the Chinese!
>>

> I got *some* of the other text when I tried, but not all--I think the
> tipa stuff wasn't showing up, or something like that. I have no idea
> how those fonts are set up.

The tipa package seems indeed to be the culprit... That's a pity,
because tipa is the best package for IPA fonts I've ever tried -true:
it doesn't use Unicode (although the ucs package allows for a "tipa"
option), but does exploit all TeX "programmability": e.g., no Unicode
font will ever be able to contain all the theoretically possible
combinations of Chao's "tone letters", but, of course, TeX can
"generate" any of them...

	Paolo