[XeTeX] CJK and ideographic font names

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Sep 9 22:48:12 CEST 2004

On 9 Sep 2004, at 9:25 pm, Paolo Matteucci wrote:

>> You're so close... but not quite! The name you need to use is just
>> "STKaiti", not "STKaiti Regular". I believe what Font Book calls the
>> "Display Name" of a font is the appropriate one to choose, if in
>> doubt.
>>
>> [...]
>
> You're right, of course... but I had tried that, and XeTeX issued the
> same error message... well almost: "! Font
> \U/stkaiti/m/n/17.28=STKaiti at 17.28pt not loadable: Metric (TFM)
> file or ATSUI font not found"...

That's odd, it worked for me when I tried your file. I don't have the
CJK package, though, and I had commented out the lmodern, textcomp,
inputenc, and maybe one or two others that seemed likely to conflict.

> This time, though, I ignored it and entered \nonstopmode and
> -consistently enough- nothing came out *except* the Chinese!

I got *some* of the other text when I tried, but not all--I think the
tipa stuff wasn't showing up, or something like that. I have no idea
how those fonts are set up.

Jonathan