[XeTeX] CJK and ideographic font names

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Sep 9 23:15:52 CEST 2004

On 9 Sep 2004, at 10:04 pm, Paolo Matteucci wrote:

> The tipa package seems indeed to be the culprit... That's a pity,
> because tipa is the best package for IPA fonts I've ever tried -true:
> it doesn't use Unicode (although the ucs package allows for a "tipa"
> option), but does exploit all TeX "programmability": e.g., no Unicode
> font will ever be able to contain all the theoretically possible
> combinations of Chao's "tone letters", but, of course, TeX can
> "generate" any of them...

You might like to try the Doulos SIL font, which is an OpenType-enabled
Unicode font that includes IPA characters, and can ligate tone letters
(up to three, in the current release) as well as dynamically position
combining marks appropriately. The OpenType features won't work in Mac
OS X text editors, but they do work in XeTeX thanks to the OT Layout
support.

	http://scripts.sil.org/doulossilfont

Jonathan