[XeTeX] Version 0.82 posted

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Jun 18 16:39:52 CEST 2004

On 18 Jun 2004, at 3:24 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 11 juin 04, à 14:43, Jonathan Kew a écrit :
>
>> William, I've had another shot at removing Panther-dependency; I
>> still don't have a Jaguar installation where I can test, but if you
>> (or others) care to try, I'll be interested to know if it runs.
>
> I just tested the latest XeTeX on Jaguar (10.2.8). It worked allright
> on a file of mine.
>
> However, the message when a font is called for, that is not present in
> the system, is a bit cryptic:

Yes, I agree about it being a bit cryptic. What happens is that XeTeX
looks for an installed font with the given name, and fails to find one;
then it wants to look for a .tfm by that name. At this point, the
kpathsearch library that TeX uses to locate files would normally step
in and fire up mktextfm or something, to generate the font on the fly
from Metafont sources, or whatever mechanism is available. But it
doesn't like the fact that the name has a space in it, and gives you
that "illegal fontname" message.

I don't really want to disable the mktex... stuff altogether, but I
should probably try and do something more intelligent with font names,
perhaps not handing them to kpathsearch at all if they had quotes
around them. (Quote marks would never occur around tfm names in legacy
TeX documents, as the use of quotes on filenames is a XeTeX extension
to support names with spaces, etc.)

> <Image 1.pdf>
>
> I was about to file a bug report when I realized Apple Symbols is
> simply not available in Jaguar (it seems to be a Panther addition).
>
> Maybe the user should be warned that some of the sample files require
> Panther.

Or, better, the files should be modified (where feasible) to run on
Jaguar as well. The Apple Symbols font is used in that file to get
symbols for "checkbox" and "radio-button" effects, using Unicode
characters U+25CB, 25C9, 2610, 2612. Is there an alternative font on
Jaguar that supports these or something similar?

Jonathan