[XeTeX] Re: XeTeX Digest, Vol 3, Issue 6

Peter Ringwood ringwood at mtu-net.ru
Sat Jun 12 23:37:05 CEST 2004

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 14:35:34 +0400
> From: Peter Ringwood <ringwood at mtu-net.ru>
> Subject: [XeTeX] xetex.xfmt not found
>
> Dear Jonathan,
>
> I've been very interested to try out XeTeX, but can't seem to get past
> first base, receiving the message when I start typesetting:
>
> This is XeTeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.8 (Web2C 7.5.2)
>   %&-line parsing enabled.
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xetex.xfmt
> fmtutil: no info for format `xetex'.
> I can't find the format file `xetex.xfmt'!
>
> I've read Gilles' letter of June 4 and your reply, and checked the link
> you included, but no luck.  I also tried your new version 0.8 and on
> checking the log, read:
>
> Jun  6 12:53:56 : building format files
> Jun  6 12:53:58 : fmtutil: no info for format `xetex'.
> Jun  6 12:54:00 : fmtutil: no info for format `xelatex'.
>
> I don't think my problem is hyphenation related as I was just trying to
> set a couple of English words, so I'm a little stumped.
>
> My computer is a 1GHz PowerBook running 10.3.4 with TeXShop 1.34 and
> Gerben Wierda's teTeX.
>
> Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
>
> Peter Ringwood
>
> PS I also tried to use your i-installer but was told "Package has wrong
> version. Could not load. Accept defeat".
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:43:26 +0200
> From: Gerben Wierda <Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl>
> Subject: Re: [XeTeX] xetex.xfmt not found
>
> I guess you should update i-Installer first (the current version is
> 2.65.2) and then try again to install the xetex package.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 13:19:56 +0100
> From: Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>
> Subject: Re: [XeTeX] xetex.xfmt not found
> To: Unicode-based TeX for Mac OS X <xetex at tug.org>
>
> Dear Peter,
>
> Sorry to hear that XeTeX didn't install successfully for you. Gerben's
> suggestion to get the latest i-Installer and re-try the installation
> using that route might solve the problem for you, so that's worth
> considering, I think.
>
> Trying to understand the problem you encountered, the messages you
> quote from the installer log:

> indicate that the installation script failed to correctly add entries
> to the fmtutil.cnf file. One possibility is that there are multiple
> such files on your system, and the script located the wrong one; then
> fmtutil isn't actually using the new entries. If you ask the installer
> log to "show everything", there might be some clues as to where it is
> locating files.
>
> If you're comfortable exploring your system from the command line, you
> may be able to locate the fmtutil.cnf file(s) yourself and correct the
> problem. The "postflight" script within the installer package, or the
> "configure" script within the i-Package, contains the commands that are
> [...]

Dear Gerben and Jonathan,

You were right about using the latest i-installer, and now everything
works fine!  I've been bracing myself for some time to learn how to use
fonts outside of CM with TeTeX/LyX mainly for Russian, and now it seems
I have found a much more practical and elegant solution.  The next step
is to become acquainted with TeX itself, but I am sure this is only a
matter of a couple of days, or perhaps years.

In any case, thanks for your help and good luck with the ongoing
projects.

Peter