[XeTeX] How to use Lucida or Fourier fonts in XeTeX?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Jun 14 00:44:43 CEST 2004

Hello,

Has anybody attempted and managed to use Lucida or Fourier fonts in
XeTeX? The problem seems to be metrics: those for Lucida fonts are
available in LY1 or T1 encoding only, and those for Fourier fonts in T1
encoding only. I imagine OT1 would create no problem, but LY1 and T1
do, apparently. Or is it necessary to create OpenType versions of these
fonts for use with XeTeX, as was done with CM fonts? Or to try and find
old OT1 metrics for them?

I am writing a document in plain TeX with Trebuchet MS as the text
font. Formulae are typeset in CM which look far too thin (and small)
compared with Trebuchet; I thought as Lucida as a better match with
Trebuchet, and used:

\input lcdplain
\font\tenrm="Trebuchet MS" at 10pt
\font\tenit="Trebuchet MS Italic" at 10pt
\font\tenbf="Trebuchet MS Bold" at 10pt
\font\tenbi="Trebuchet MS Bold Italic" at 10pt

With this the math formulae do look better indeed; however, the letters
don't always come out right. For example, "${\rm e}^{-{\rm i}\sigma t}$
and $e^{-i\sigma t}$" yield: