[XeTeX] math in XeLaTeX at 11pt or 12pt

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Apr 30 15:11:48 CEST 2004

On 30 Apr 2004, at 1:24 pm, Ross Moore wrote:

> but for 12pt:
> [GlenLivet:~/Documents/tests] rossmoor% xdv2pdf -v xtest.xdv
> [1
> {fontmap: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-var/dvips/config/psfonts.map}
> {activated:
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/fonts/otf/bluesky/cm/cmr12.otf} ]
>
>  ... which shows that math-fonts are missing.

...which makes it sound as though the xetex step found the math fonts
installed in the OS somewhere, and didn't use TFMs. I'm a bit puzzled
for now.... (you did re-run xetex after removing the Textures fonts,
not only xdv2pdf?)

> external at font ->cmsy10 at12.0pt
>                        ^^^^
>    could the lack of a space here have any effect ?

No, it shouldn't.

>> Another option has occurred to me, remembering that XeTeX allows
>> quote marks to be used around \font (and \input) names, as they may
>> need to include spaces:
>>
>> 4) make \font sensitive to whether the font name is quoted (with
>> "..." or '...'), looking first for a .tfm file if no quote marks were
>> used, and an ATSUI font if they were.

>> I think I'm going to experiment with implementing this; it should
>> make standard documents (plain TeX, LaTeX, whatever) all work as
>> expected, as they won't have quote marks on the font names, while
>> also offering the virtually-transparent use of ATSUI fonts that has
>> been a goal all along.
>
> Let me test it when it's ready.
> Hopefully then my 11pt and 12pt problems will just go away.

See
	http://www.jfkew.plus.com/XeTeX/xetex.tgz

This is a new build of the xetex tool ONLY, nothing else; it has the
font-loading scheme suggested as (4). Try putting this in place of your
existing xetex (it is .pool- and .xfmt-compatible), and see if that
helps.

Note that if you built any .xfmt files with the older version when it
wasn't picking up .tfms for the math fonts, you'll need to rebuild
those. But the xetex.xfmt and xelatex.xfmt files as distributed should
be OK.

Please let me know what happens with this version. I'll hold off on
making this a more public update (though as this is a public list,
anyone who cares to is welcome to try it!) until I hear how it goes.
(I'm also working on another requested feature, hoping to slip it into
a 0.6 release next week.)

Jonathan