[XeTeX] math in XeLaTeX at 11pt or 12pt

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Apr 30 14:24:43 CEST 2004

Hi Jonathan,

On 30/04/2004, at 6:52 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2004, at 9:28 am, Jonathan Kew wrote:
>

>> Possible ways forward (besides requiring you to remove the Textures
>> fonts, which isn't really a solution as you may want them there!):

I've tried this, removing just the math-fonts, then all the CM + LaTeX
PostScript fonts,
then the screen suitcases as well, ...

But nothing works.
I have *not* logged-out, or restarted, in case there is some caching.

Your explanation of relating my problem to Textures' fonts is
interesting,
as it might also apply at 10pt size, yet that works fine.

A possible explanation is that a complete set of 10pt .tfm
files are compiled into the format.

Yet with  -kpathsea-debug=-1  tracing, at 12pt  some .tfm files are
read:

kdebug:fopen(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/
cmr12.tfm, rb) => 0xa0009978
kdebug:fopen(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmr8.tfm,
rb) => 0xa0009920
kdebug:fopen(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/cmr6.tfm,
rb) => 0xa0009920
kdebug:fopen(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/
cmmi12.tfm, rb) => 0xa0009920
kdebug:fopen(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/
cmmi8.tfm, rb) => 0xa0009920
kdebug:fopen(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/
cmmi6.tfm, rb) => 0xa0009920
kdebug:fopen(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/
cmsy8.tfm, rb) => 0xa0009920
kdebug:fopen(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/tfm/public/cm/
cmsy6.tfm, rb) => 0xa0009920

Why no  cmsy12 ?
There isn't one!  It's normally scaled from  cmsy10 :

</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr12.pfb>
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmsy10.pfb>
</usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmmi12.pfb>
Output written on xtest.pdf (1 page, 8286 bytes).
    (using pdfLaTeX)

However, removing the Textures' fonts *does* force  xdv2pdf  to find
the  .otf  ones, as you claimed in an earlier email.

viz. for 10pt:

[GlenLivet:~/Documents/tests] rossmoor% xdv2pdf -v xtest.xdv
[1
{fontmap: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-var/dvips/config/psfonts.map}
{activated:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/fonts/otf/bluesky/cm/cmmi10.otf}
{activated:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/fonts/otf/bluesky/cm/cmsy10.otf}
{activated:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/fonts/otf/bluesky/cm/cmr10.otf} ]

but for 12pt:
[GlenLivet:~/Documents/tests] rossmoor% xdv2pdf -v xtest.xdv
[1
{fontmap: /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-var/dvips/config/psfonts.map}
{activated:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf-local/fonts/otf/bluesky/cm/cmr12.otf} ]

  ... which shows that math-fonts are missing.

Here is a bit more evidence:

[GlenLivet:~/Documents/tests] rossmoor% grep cmsy10 xtest.log | grep 12
| grep font
reserved at f ->extract at rangefontinfo
<10.95><12><14.4><17.28><20.74><24.88>cmsy10
reserved at f ->extract at rangefontinfo
<12><14.4><17.28><20.74><24.88>cmsy10<-*>@ni
external at font ->cmsy10 at12.0pt
{select font cmsy10 at 12.0pt}
{retaining OMS/cmsy/m/n/12=select font cmsy10 at 12.0pt}

external at font ->cmsy10 at12.0pt
                        ^^^^
    could the lack of a space here have any effect ?

>> 1) reverse the priority of font loading in xetex, so that it looks
>> first for a .tfm file, and only for an installed font if no .tfm is
>> found

  I'd thought that this was the priority --- evidently I was mistaken.

  #3. sounds like a good idea, though perhaps it is impractical...

#4 sounds even better:

    + existing .tfm files cannot have spaces in the name;
    + the scheme I proposed earlier for LaTeX files was
      built with  "...." assumed.

> This is almost like (2), in that it makes it possible to control the
> behavior from the source document; it's conceivable that you might
> want to experiment with using cmr10 in AAT mode as well as TFM mode,
> for example, or you might have tfm files with names like
> "Helvetica.tfm". It's a little different in that
> 	\font\myfont=Helvetica at 10pt
> will not ONLY try for Helvetica.tfm, but ALSO look for an installed
> Helvetica if no tfm is found.
>
> I think I'm going to experiment with implementing this; it should make
> standard documents (plain TeX, LaTeX, whatever) all work as expected,
> as they won't have quote marks on the font names, while also offering
> the virtually-transparent use of ATSUI fonts that has been a goal all
> along.

Let me test it when it's ready.
Hopefully then my 11pt and 12pt problems will just go away.

> Comments still welcome!

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au
Sydney, Australia                                  fax: +61 +2 9850 8114