[UK-TUG] Procedural matters. No procedural discussion wanted.

Jay Hammond jay at jjnr.uk
Thu Nov 4 02:41:44 CET 2021

I asked the meeting to let me know whether they wanted to discuss a
procedural motion with two purposes proposed by Jonathan fine. The
meeting does not want that discussion. I will not offer the meeting
Jonathan Fine's motion.

The period during which hands were shown was short. It may have excluded
some members  who did not realise the vote was taking place, or were
unable to  give an indication of their feeling in the time allowed. So
it wasn't an accurate indication of the strength of feeling. But it was
as clear an indication as you can get in time to take the necessary action.

If this were a vote, I should have had to consider which votes were
invalid, spoiled or unclear. Since I want the feeling of the meeting,
not a vote. I read the text of the indications and interpreted it using
common sense.  It follows that I can't give you precise numbers on the
No's.  I can be precise about the Yesses.

There were 13 responses to the request for a show of hands. That's more
than a quorum, but this was not a formal vote.  There were no YESes at
all;  no indications that any  member wanted to discuss a  procedural
motion. I had supposed that the proposer might indicate they wanted it
discussed.  There was an abstention. There were about 10  NOs. There
were a few indications that the underlying procedural motion (to adjourn
to discuss ...) should be rejected.  Some hands were shown to my
personal email address, the members saying they chose not to put them on
UKTUG-announce. I'm prepared to have the private votes looked at by an
independent scrutineer.

But I don't think it's necessary. The 8 or so hands you can see in the
meeting  are all against the procedural motion discussion. And no-one is
in favour.

Please continue discussion on the motions. Or vote if you are ready and
have not done so yet.

I started a new subject 'How to Vote'. It contains a sample vote you can
modify to indicate your choices. Of course the FOR, AGAINST, ABSTAIN
words need to be put in the right places by you. The right places are
indicated by the neutral MU. There is a little guidance on the mechanics .

I apologise that it's possible to vote for contradictory instructions to
go to the committee. Please don't ! Restrain your FORs. One or two may
be enough, I think there may be a combination of 3 FORs that is not
contradictory.

Thank you and goodnight! I'm out of circulation until lunchtime as I
have commitments. (and a bed to get to)

Jay

Email use jay at jjnr.uk