[UK-TUG] Procedural: Adjourn, do details off-list, reconvene, discuss, vote

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 10:31:45 CET 2021

Hi

SUMMARY: Too much email right now. A break for off-list clarification of
details. Then reconvene, discuss and vote.

Ewan Hawthorn's email this morning surprised and saddened me. I completely
agree with him that the SGM debate has serious problems, to which I perhaps
have contributed. I can do better. Ewan's email prompted me to send you not
details but the message you are reading.

The daily flood of messages into your Inbox is a consequence of
uk-tug-announce being the venue for the SGM. Perhaps move the detailed
stuff elsewhere, for you to see and read and contribute only when you wish
to. This would leave uk-tug-announce for the important stuff.

We have made important progress. The SGM has a choice between dissolution
and continuation. Thanks to Arthur's good news yesterday, money is now a
minor issue. That problem has been solved. It goes to TUG and DANTE.

The choice now is between continuing as UK-TUG, or as one or more successor
organisations. I think as UK-TUG is the best, and is possible given time
and goodwill. As things stand, I fear a successor organisation will fail.

I suggest that we adjourn the SGM for a week or two. Let's not be hasty in
making an irreversible decision. It will allow a more successful
continuation, as UK-TUG or otherwise.

This allows the present important detail discussions to continue, without
cluttering your mailbox. With a modern forum such as Google groups this can
be done in a place you can visit and read and participate, but not in your
mailbox.

After that reconvene, perhaps on uk-tug-announce. Next a short discussion
based on reports distilled from the details, make our decisions and vote.

Contact me off-list to reduce email clutter for others, if you wish.

with kind regards

Jonathan