[UK-TUG] Discussion of motion HV1

Roger Whittaker roger at disruptive.org.uk
Fri Oct 29 19:25:11 CEST 2021

Howard Vie wrote:

   Something more akin to "maintanance mode", perhaps a yearly meet up,
   the website, archive

I agree.  I joined the group some years ago and sent a small amount of
money each year to Joseph Wright, and got in return copies of TUGboat
and TeX Live DVDs.

That was fine, until the group stopped asking me for money, stopped
providing those quite nice things that occasionally dropped through my
letterbox, and started arguing about political and personal issues
that are rather obscure to me.

It may well be that in the world we now live in, a software group
doing conferences, meetups and training sessions may well be unviable
(and I know this because over the years a lot of my use of TeX was in
producing the newsletter of UKUUG / FlossUK, a rather bigger group
that has now gone dormant).

But a minimal "maintanance mode" with some vague possibility of future
expansion or activities seems like a good aim to me, and I would be
more than happy to pay a regular sub to know that such a group was
there.

--
Roger Whittaker
roger at disruptive.org.uk