[UK-TUG] Problems with UK-TUG funding for my TeX Hour activity

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 13:49:14 CEST 2021

Hi

Here's something that's bugging me that's difficult to say, particularly in
a constructive way. So please forgive any mistakes. I've read this email
through twice before pressing SEND.

Briefly, my funding request to UK-TUG failed to result in my getting
funding even though the committee approved the grant. This has blocked me
from applying for further funding.

Since December last year I've run a weekly zoom TeX Hour. About 6 people
attend most weeks and once there were 20. From January 14th I've been using
a paid Zoom account so I can record and publish the meeting, and avoid the
40 minute free account time limit.

Also on January 14th I applied to UK-TUG to pay for one months subscription
(£14.39), figuring that would be easy for the committee to pass. On
February 8th Joseph Wright moved a motion (see below) to grant me three
months money.

The motion passed, I was officially informed, and I agreed to the
conditions in the motion. About 2 weeks later Joseph wrote to me on behalf
of the committee, saying that I also had to agree to write a 1,000 word
report at the end of 3-month period as a condition for receiving the grant.

This I refused to agree to. It wasn't in the original motion, it wasn't
part of the official notification, and a 1,000 word report for £43 is
excessive. It comes out at 4.3 pence per word. I might also have been a
little proud. It felt like a humiliation.

There are two bad outcomes to this. The first is that UK-TUG lost the
opportunity to make the grant payment. The second is that I've felt to be
blocked for further funding. Altogether I've spent £100 on monthly zoom
funding, and this month I bought a 12-month zoom licence for £110. I've
also bought a quality webcam for £100 and a tabletop tripod for £14 to
replace my out-of-support and so insecure chromebook.

I have some bitterness in my heart, that UK-TUG funding for the TeX Hour
fell through. I also feel that I've been unfairly treated, compared to the
other grant applicants. I spend at least 3 hours a week running the TeX
Hour. You can see the recorded TeX Hour videos at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCKEgzdM6fTYtfivRdzajw/playlists.

with kind regards

Jonathan

APPENDIX: Joseph Wright's motion

MOTION: That the committee authorise funds for Jonathan Fine to purchase a
3-month standard license for Zoom, to allow him to host online discussions
for up to 100 people.

NOTE SUPPORTING MOTION: Resulting sessions would be financially supported
by UK-TUG but not hosted by UK-TUG as official events.