[UK-TUG] Jay Hammond's "dissolve forthwith" motion-on-a-motion

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 15:04:00 CEST 2021

Hi

difficulties at the SGM, about the meaning of the motions. It's all about
the meaning of "forthwith".

For now I'll focus on Jay's inner motion, which is: UK TUG resolves to
dissolve forthwith.

Except for the "forthwith", this is similar to my previously suggested
motion: That UK TUG be dissolved.

So what does "forthwith" mean? According to
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/forthwith it means "immediately, at once,
without delay".

However, the constitution specifies the process for dissolution. The first
clause in part reads: If the members resolve to dissolve UK-TUG the
Committee members will remain in office as the UK-TUG Committee and be
responsible for winding up the affairs of UK-TUG [...]

I think this and subsequent clauses implies that dissolution is a process
conducted by the Committee, and that dissolution comes to an end once all
assets are collected, all debts paid, and all remaining funds and property
distributed.

Aside: I'm reading Jay's "dissolve" to mean "be dissolved", rather than
"begin the process of dissolution".

If in Jay's motion "forthwith" means "immediately" then his motion places a
hard or impossible burden on the committee. And if it means "without undue
delay" I don't see that it adds anything.

Finally, with the "immediately" meaning I'm concerned about it's
consistency with my draft motion: That UK-TUG's surplus assets be
distributed in proportion to the individually expressed wishes of members
[...]

with kind regards

Jonathan