[UK-TUG] Draft motions for dissolution special general meeting (SGM)

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 13:56:21 CEST 2021

Hi all

Nicola asked

Let's try another example. What if X is, say, the London
> Mathematical Society (which you suggested at the 2019 AGM)? This is an
> organisation that doesn't have TeX as its primary objective but does have
> members who use TeX and who, in the past, has arranged a LaTeX training day.

Clause 3 states "The Committee must apply any remaining property or money"
directly for the objects or "to any organisations for purposes the same as
or similar to UK-TUG". This overrides any manner of distribution resolution
passed at a general meeting.

I see no constitutional problem in providing funds to LMS (or even Oxfam)
for the purpose of LaTeX training, provided the recipient was genuinely
willing to accept them for that purpose.

Here's another example. MathJax is a Fiscally Sponsored Project of
NumFocus. I regard MathJax as being in scope for surplus funds. Happily,
NumFocus accepts donations that are for the restricted purpose of MathJax.
https://numfocus.org/project/mathjax # and click on "Donate to MathJax".

Nicola also wrote:

> The committee can't explain to the member why it can't be done because the
> committee can't agree that it can't be done.

The committee has responsibility for making decisions. Sometimes, difficult
decisions. The Chair has a casting vote to ensure that deadlock cannot
occur. Good practice can make difficult decisions less frequent and easier.

with kind regards

Jonathan