[UK-TUG] Draft motions for dissolution special general meeting (SGM)

Dr Nicola L C Talbot n.talbot at uea.ac.uk
Mon Oct 4 13:29:07 CEST 2021

Hi Jonathan,

> So far so good. Nicola then asks "what happens if everyone else decides that X" is inconsistent with the parenthetical part of the motion? To make this concrete, I'll suppose that X is Oxfam or some other non-typesetting worthy organisation.
>
> The constitution says it is the Committee, not the members or the AGM, that are responsible for ensuring consistency in the parenthetical part of the motion. When the committee sees the request that funds be sent to Oxfam, I would expect the committee to explain to the member why that can't be done, and give the member an opportunity to amend their request. (There's an implied obligation on the committee to act in a reasonable way.)

Let's try another example. What if X is, say, the London Mathematical
Society (which you suggested at the 2019 AGM)? This is an organisation
that doesn't have TeX as its primary objective but does have members who
use TeX and who, in the past, has arranged a LaTeX training day.

The committee can't explain to the member why it can't be done because
the committee can't agree that it can't be done.

Regards
Nicola Talbot