[UK-TUG] Our journey from here to there

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 12:12:45 CET 2020

Dear Members

Last week I wrote to a physics professor, asking if he was interested in
helping to renew and revive our group. By way of introduction I gave a link
to my final report as chair (in 2010). Here's the link.
http://uk.tug.org/2010/10/17/chairmans-report/

The reply I got was very interesting. It expressed gratitude for the good
things UK TUG has done in the past. But the reply didn't see a sustainable
role for a closed-membership, geographically limited TeX user group.

This reply gave me a lot to think about, and helped me open my mind.

Nicola Talbot has said she'd like to see a continuation of the UK TUG
community. Both Jay and I  support that. This would I think be an
open-membership UK focussed grouping of TeX users. Perhaps you'd like to
see that too.

We can start forming that group right now. I used this list to invite you
to my zoom office hours. There were 6 of us, and 3 sent apologies. And what
I did, you can do. For example, you can say who you are, and ask to talk
with like-minded people.

To move forward to where we want to be, I've set up a zoom meeting for
early next year. Here's the details.

Begin an open grouping of UK TeX users
Thursday 7 January 2021, 6:30 to 7:30pm
https://us04web.zoom.us/j/74205510948?pwd=SWNGMzlaRmx1emhnMnlCUWpXcGJIdz09

Meeting ID: 742 0551 0948
Passcode: bgroup

Please put Thursday 7 January 2021, 6:30 to 7:30pm into your calendar. And
do contact me off-list if you wish.

with best regards

Jonathan