[UK-TUG] UKTUG still in trouble

Jay Hammond jay at jjnr.uk
Fri Jan 17 10:55:06 CET 2020

Dear UKTUG members,

I wrote to you just before Christmas explaining why UKTUG is in deep
trouble. That the situation is not stable, there will be change. And
that only the members can put UKTUG in a position to support TeX in the UK.

So I asked you to volunteer to participate I a committee to revive UKTUG
with a positive plan to support TeX in the UK

and to participate in a committee to wind up UKTUG in an orderly
fashion, preserving member benefits as far as possible.

Please contact me at chair at uktug.org.uk

I’ve had about four responses (from about 80 members). One was a member
who volunteered to be on the positive plan committee. The rest were
greetings, analysis and encouragement.

On present showing, (one volunteer!) there is not the energy or
motivation in the membership as a whole to create a plan, let alone
execute it.

So, now Christmas is over I ask you again to volunteer to join a
committee /subcommittee to formulate a plan that UKTUG can use to
support TeX and friends in the UK.

You would do so if you feel that you could contribute to UKTUG, by
supporting TeX in the UK through UKTUG, and that the positive plan will
spell out the ways this would take place. There are a number of members
who contribute significantly to TeX but for various good reasons, the
contribution is not made via UKTUG.

Without such a plan, and a commitment from members to execute it, UKTUG
cannot fulfil its stated constitutional aims. The AGM motion 5 will be
triggered, and UKTUG will have to decide to wind up.

I would argue that after more than 10 years of reducing its support for
TeX in the UK, UKTUG can no longer support TeX effectively. I would like
to be proved wrong.

I shall review the offers made in February, or sooner if there are
useful numbers of them.

I would alternatively like you to assist in planning the orderly
wind-down of UKTUG, the dispersal of assets and the creation of a
lightweight successor social group initially consisting of the current
UKTUG members. Ideally, find a way for those that still need them, to
have the benefit of DVD’s.

Having thought about the issues, I realise there are gaps in my skills
and knowledge. I won’t on my own, be able to create a satisfactory plan
to wind up UKTUG. I’d rather a committee of members led the process,
although I will contribute my ideas so far. If there is no committee,
you will have to tolerate the unsatisfactory plan.

Jay Hammond UKTUG chair

chair at uktug.org.uk