TDS locations for graphics.sty, autopict.sty and friends.

Alan Jeffrey TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Tue, 30 Jan 96 12:55 GMT

>At the time I wrote the first message I had in mind that this
>particular example might directly affect people putting together `TDS
>compliant' distributions, but I just tried it on tetex and I notice
>that

>TEXINPUTS	= $KPSE_DOT:!!$TEXMF/tex//:!!$FONTDIR/afm//
>                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I thought the `canonical' setting for a format-specific TEXINPUTS was:

   .:$TEXMF/tex/$FORMAT//:$TEXMF/tex//

It's entertaining to see that fontinst has caused the afm directory to
get into the default TEXINPUTS path!  Personally I think I'd leave it
out, since people running fontinst are expected to know what they're
doing (spot my attitude to software).  Alternatively, you could have a
`fontinst' shell script which sets TEXINPUTS to:

   .:$TEXMF/tex/fontinst//:$TEXMF/tex//:$TEXMF/fonts/afm//:$TEXMF/fonts/pl//:

before running `tex fontinst.sty'.

Alan.