TDS locations for graphics.sty, autopict.sty and friends.

David Carlisle TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Mon, 29 Jan 96 18:09:36 GMT

Joachim >IMHO the politically correct solution is: <drumroll> let the
Joachim> author decide.

Ah but what if `the author' can not make up his mind! In this case
graphics was written purely `for' LaTeX. So the suggestion is that it
gets put in tex/latex.

Then 3 years later someone (in this case, but not necessarily, the same
person) writes a `wrapper' for plain TeX that makes a few low level
definitions and then inputs the LaTeX file. Does that mean that the
author of the `wrapper' should be able to change the TDS location of
the original package?

At the time I wrote the first message I had in mind that this
particular example might directly affect people putting together `TDS
compliant' distributions, but I just tried it on tetex and I notice
that

TEXINPUTS	= $KPSE_DOT:!!$TEXMF/tex//:!!$FONTDIR/afm//

so plain tex currently searches the whole lot anyway on tetex. If it
didn't, the graphics.tex file as posted to ctan would not work.

David