[Tugindia] XeTeX 0.9999.0 released
cvr at river-valley.com
Tue Mar 12 04:10:31 CET 2013
Here is a mail from Khaled who is the current maintainer of XeTeX about a
new release which addresses a few problems faced by indic scripts. Hope
this will be useful to some of our users who rely on XeTeX.
From: Khaled Hosny <khaledhosny at eglug.org>
Date: Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:56 AM
Subject: [MacTeX] XeTeX 0.9999.0 released
To: "MacOS X and TeX." <mactex at tug.org>
I have just uploaded a beta release of 0.9999.x series.
The archive can be downloaded from SourceForge page:
There have been quite some changes in this release, and testing is
highly appreciated, the more testing the better, but please note that
this is a beta release and should not be used in production
environments. There are no pre-built binaries right now, but they should
be available from TLContrib shortly.
Main changes in this release:
* Port OpenType layout from ICU LayoutEngine to HarfBuzz.
HarfBuzz is actively maintained and generally have much wider support for
OpenType spec, the switch fixes a number of OpenType bugs:
- Support version 2 OpenType Indic specs.
- Many other Indic OpenType bugs, and support for the latest additions to
- Incorrect application of contextual features.
- Incorrect kerning in fonts that has both old “kern” table and new GPOS
- Allow suppressing Latin ligatures with ZWNJ.
- Support for variation selectors.
- Support for user-specified features with complex scripts.
* Port Graphite layout to from SilGraphite to HarfBuzz and Graphite2. Which
provides a more robust Graphite support and also fixes a number of
* Port AAT font layout and font searching on Mac from the deprecated
to Core Text, and image support on Mac from QuickTime to ImageIO
XeTeX can be finally built on 64-bit Mac! Work contributed by Jiang Jiang.
* Add “/OT” font variant, similar to “/ICU” which is now deprecated.
* Add a “shaper” font option to specify HarfBuzz shapers (for testing).
* Guessed script from input string if no one is given in the font
instead of defaulting to Latin.
* Support 4-letter tags for Graphite features.
* Use \U prefix for extended math primitives, allowing XeTeX and LuaTeX to
the same names for Unicode math primitives supported by both engines. The
\XeTeX* primitives have been deprecated and will be removed in the future.
* Support OpenType math cut ins.
* Fix “\show” and “\meaning” of “\Umathchar” to a print a form that is legal
* Fix italic correction to not depend on space factor being zero for
* Fix sporadic shifting of extensible accents.
* Fix typesetting XeTeX’s WEB code, in addition to various slight
* Prefer TrueType/OpenType over Type1 fonts with the same font name.
* Support input pipes, in line with other engines.
* Drop support for using “()” as font names quotes since it was causing file
names with parenthesis not to be found.
* Fix “\show” with characters outside BMP.
* Print the actual character instead of hex code for characters outside BMP
with “\show”, “\meaning”, “\showlists” and missing char log messages.
* Fix letterspacing if zero width glyphs.
* Try to get cap and x height from OS/2 table first.
* Reject bitmap only fonts.
* Include build date in “--version” output.
P.S. Since I never announced the 0.9998 release (TeX Live 2012), I'm
posting the changes here for reference.
XeTeX 0.9998 was released 20120708
* Fix mismatch between fonts loaded by XeTeX and xdvipdfmx when multiple
versions of the font exist.
* Fix “\the\textfont” with families > 15
* Extend “\fam” to accept family number up to 255.
* Fix build on Mac OS 10.7
* Fix displacement of big operator's limits when “DisplayOperatorMinHeight”
higher than the size of the big operator.
* Fix too wide accents over accentees that has sub/superscript.
* Support extensible accents for “\overbrace” etc.
* Always take math constants from current font, fixes multiple math
* Honor relevant math constants when positioning sub/superscripts.
* Honor “AccentBaseHeight” when placing accents.
* Support “fixed” and “bottom” keywords in “\XeTeXmathaccent” for non
and bottom accents, respectively.
* Fix horizontal placement of of accents over single letters to honor their
accent position value.
* Fix vertical placement of sub/superscripts of single letters to not be
treated as non-single letters.
* Support proper positioning of nested accents.
More information about the tugindia